Certified Birth & Postpartum Doula, Evidence Based Birth® Instructor
Marnellie Bishop is a certified birth and postpartum doula (International Doula Institute) with a Bachelor’s degree from La Sierra University, Riverside, CA. Volunteering at Northwest Mother’s Milk Bank and Portland Area Babywearing, provide Marnellie the opportunity to stay connected with her local community. Marnellie’s goal is to empower clients to seek out what is important to them and support them in whatever challenges they face as they enter into parenthood. Continuous learning and review of the latest data and research regarding pregnancy, birth and newborn care, equip Marnellie to provide up-to-date information to her clients. Using her network of providers and other perinatal professionals, Marnellie will do her best to ensure that her clients receive the highest level of care and support. Marnellie believes in a birthing individual’s strength, ability and resiliency to achieve desired goals.
As an Evidence Based Birth® Instructor, Marnellie’s goal is to equip families with useful tools to effectively and respectively communicate with providers, receive evidence-based information and support a growing family’s choices as they navigate through pregnancy, birth and beyond.
Marnellie lives in Portland, OR with her husband and two children. Aside from her work as a doula and Evidence Based Birth® Instructor, Marnellie enjoys volunteering and holding a board position at her children’s cooperative preschool, water sports, traveling and spending time with her family.
- Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration, La Sierra University, Riverside, CA
- Certified Birth & Postpartum Doula, International Doula Institute
- Hypno-Doula, Hypnobabies®
- Instructor, Evidence Based Birth®
Volunteer Work & Affiliations
- Northwest Mother’s Milk Bank
- Portland Area Babywearing
- Verified Doula, BirthTubeLIVE
- Professional Member, Evidence Based Birth®
Pricing & Rates
- FREE initial consultation for doula support via phone or in-person. Rates for services discussed during consultation.
- Evidence Based Birth® Workshop and Class Pricing can be found on Eventbrite
Benefits of Doula Support
- Physical Support: A doula provides massage, pressure and a soothing touch during your birthing time and helps maintain a calm and nurturing environment.
- Emotional Support: A doula helps individuals feels a sense of empowerment and pride in their birth experience and offers encouragement, praise and listens to their needs.
- Reliable Resources: A doula is well connected within the community and can offer reliable resources and evidence based information when planning for birth and postpartum.
- Know Your Rights: A doula supports positive collaboration with providers and supports your rights to make decisions about what happens to your body and baby.
Learning Objectives of Evidence Based Birth® Instructor Classes & Workshops
- Define evidence-based care
- Discuss the availability and pros/cons of local birth options
- Practice respectful ways to talk with your provider
- Discuss how partners, doulas, and nurses can work together to provide labor support
- Describe the benefits and limitations of birth plans
- Discuss the human and legal rights of birthing persons
- Define evidence-based care and discuss statistics on the quality of birth settings in our local community
- Discuss the major reasons why we have an evidence-practice gap, including the power hierarchy and how it is a barrier to evidence-based, family-centered care
- Discuss ways that we can bridge the evidence-practice gap at the system level
- Discuss specific strategies we can use to help our clients obtain evidence-based care
Evidence Based Birth® Classes & Workshops
- Savvy Birth 101 for Parents: The 1-hour Savvy Birth 101 class was developed by Evidence Based Birth® to give you the inside scoop on how to form the ultimate birth team, so when the time comes to bring your baby into the world you can find yourself at the center of respectful, evidence-based care.
- Savvy Birth for Parents: At the Savvy Birth Workshop, you’ll learn ways to communicate effectively with your doctor, midwife, and nurse. You will discover strategies for asking questions without seeming disrespectful and you’ll get the inside scoop on how to stack the odds in your favor of having a positive birth.
- Savvy Birth for Professionals: The Savvy Birth Pro Workshop (3 contact hours) was developed by Evidence Based Birth® to give professionals the skills you need to make a genuine difference and help your clients attain the best possible chance at evidence based care during pregnancy and labor.
- Comfort Measures for Labor & Delivery Nurses: Evidence Based Birth® designed this workshop specifically for Labor and Delivery nurses who are looking to add to their labor support knowledge and skills. However, local doulas, midwives, and childbirth educators are also encouraged to register!
- Seminar Series
- Due Dates
- Home Birth Transfers
- Newborn Procedures